Monday, April 11, 2016

On My Friends Overseas

In 1991, following the end of the Cold War, the US and Russia, facing the new reality, saw a threat in southeastern Europe. Yugoslavia's army was just too large. They sent their Jewish agents to foment ethnic tensions in Bosnia, arranged passage for Sarajevo's Jewish population to Israel, and then sat back and watched the place burn to the ground.

Jews tend to look after themselves. I knew someone whose 80-something aunt was kicked out of an apartment sometime in the 2000s, when the Jewish community was able to reclaim some of its lost buildings in Budapest. Someone else had that same issue when he lost a job to a Jewish man, a friend of his Jewish employer. Maybe, if he had a Jewish name he could have gotten a job. He didn't understand why anyone who was Jewish would want to change their names.

The Romanians, as a whole, protected their Jews. Jews who say otherwise are just trying to protect their interests in Israel and use the Holocaust as an excuse for their own desired ends. Anyway, not as many of their Jews, percentage-wise, died in World War II as did Hungarian or Polish Jews.

In Bulgaria in 2005, if you called someone on your cell phone you had to pay for the minutes. It was free to receive calls. So if you were running low on minutes you would SMS your friend, "Call me." This was a called a "Jewish SMS."

There were a lot of swastikas spray-painted on the walls of Budapest in 2007.  That was all done by a very small minority. The guys who beat up my Indian friends in Riga in 2006 represented a very small minority of Latvians.

As for the Roma, they live in big houses, and they live off welfare. Hitler and Stalin didn't kill enough of them. The gays are trying to make everyone more like them. It's okay if they want to be that way, but do it in private. Also, it's the EU. You can go somewhere else if you want to.

I've met intelligent people in Central and Eastern Europe, and they've held beliefs well in keeping with those of the liberal circles which I occupy in the US, as well as intelligent people who hold very different beliefs. They've told me about their families, their careers, their day-to-day lives, their schools, their pastimes. They've been more open to me than any other group of people I've ever known. They've taken me into their houses. They've fed me. More than once, they've refused to let me pay a dime for a drink. I say this -- and I say this in all honesty -- I love them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment