Saturday, March 18, 2017

On Get Out

Moments from Get Out (Jordan Peele, 2017), all spoilers:

-- The face of Chris Washington (Daniel Kaluuya) when he first undergoes hypnosis. His face is plastic. It contorts and stretches. His eyes go red and I expected him to start bleeding from his orifices. You can see that face on Alex (Malcolm Mcdowell) in A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick, 1971). You can also see that face on the black man Harry (Clint Eastwood) threatens in the "Do you feel lucky, punk" scene in Dirty Harry (Don Siegel, 1971).

-- Missy Armitage's (Catherine Keener) face is cooler, the mask of the college-educated white woman grown old more quickly than she would like. You don't know why she wants to hurt you, but you know that she does.

-- I did not recognize the guy from The West Wing (1999-2006). When I did, I realized the casting was perfect.

-- The old white people at the party, the way they talk, and the way they relate to one another are not familiar to me. I live in a different world, surrounded by other racists who speak a different language.

-- I watched the movie with a mixed-race audience in Germantown, Maryland. They were animated during the final scene. When Chris and Missy struggle to death, someone behind me screamed, "Kill that fucking bitch!" and everyone cheered her on. When Chris's hands started choking Rose (Allison Williams), she screamed again, "Choke the bitch! Choke the fucking bitch!" I thought Missy and Rose were bitches too and that they were bitches who deserved to die. I wanted Chris to kill them both. I didn't need to see Daisy Domergue (Jennifer Jason Leigh) die in The Hateful Eight (Question Tarantino, 2015) and I didn't need to see the anti-heroines of Double Indemnity (Billy Wilder, 1944) or Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958) suffer. But I left the theater last night unsatisfied. I wanted to see Chris choke Rose to death. Everyone in that theater wanted to see Chris choke Rose to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment