Thursday, April 6, 2017

On the Coming Environmental Apocalypse

A few years ago, I was drinking with two colleagues. None of us had children. We were talking about our life plans and one of them said, "I don't think I want to bring a child into the world, with the environmental apocalypse coming." She wasn't joking. We changed the subject and started talking about university politics.

In one of the final episodes of 13 Reasons Why (2017), which I reviewed here, an English professor father jokes with his son about the fact that the world is coming to an end, and that nothing really matters. They move on to other topics. It was the most authentic part of the show.

I'm drinking a pot of specialty tea at my favorite place in Seattle. It's a beautiful day out. If the weather was ten degrees warmer, it would be perfect. Seattle culture being what it is, I'm sure I could tell everyone in this room that an environmental apocalypse is coming soon and everyone would agree with me. A woman at another table is reading a Swedish novel. Some lovely, chatty women were eating crepes. Someone else is editing a sound file on his laptop. My Facebook feed is still going nuts on the Pepsi Lives Matter ad. I just finished a post on a fan convention for The Walking Dead (2010 -- ). I'm analyzing a Canadian film from 1952 that I can access on YouTube and comparing it to a Yugoslav cartoon from 1957 that's on my external hard drive.

We are an amazing, wonderful species.

No comments:

Post a Comment